Curated List of web scraping tools for NodeJS
Curated list of web scraping tools for NodeJS developers.
Web scraping is the act of fetching data from a third party website by downloading and parsing the HTML code to extract data. The web scraping process consists of 1) downloading HTML content of a page, 2) parsing/extracting the data, and 3) saving it into a database for further analysis or use.
Web Scraping Use Cases
Below are a few industries where web scraping is often used:
- News - You can synthesize information from articles on different news sources using extractive or abstractive summaries.
- News Aggregators - You can aggregate articles from different sources such as Reddit, Twitter, The New Yorker, etc.
- Real Estate - You can scrape Redfin or Zillow to create real-time information on housing prices.
- Search Engines - Suppose you want to build an internal search engine for your organization. As a supplement to your internal documents, you might also want to scrape 3rd party data such as eBay listings or user profiles from LinkedIn.
- Travel - You can scrape flight and hotel prices for comparison.
- Online Shopping - Scrape product pages to monitor competitor prices.
- Retail Banking - Aggregate information from various sources such as Mint.com, Credit Union, and E-Trade.
- Data Journalism - LA-based Crosstown is a non-profit that uses data scraping to aggregate real-time data across different data sources to generate unique, data-driven stories.
- Search Engine Optimization - Marketers can optimize SEO content by comparing similar articles found on Google Search results.
- Market Research - Scrape social media sites to identify public opinion (aka sentiment analysis) for trading.
- Lead Generation - Discover new prospects and partners by scraping content online.
- Content Audits - Webmasters can create a sitemap or content audit by scraping pages.
DIY Scraping Libraries
If you are a developer who prefers to build and manage things yourself, then here are a few good libraries for NodeJS.
- [NickJS](https://nickjs.org] - Headless browser automation library. This is a good substitute for CasperJS. It works on Google Headless, PhantomJS and CasperJS.
- Google's Pupeteer - Node library which provides a high-level API to control Chrome or Chromium over the DevTools Protocol.
- ZombieJS - Insanely fast, full-stack, headless browser testing using NodeJS.
- SlimmerJS - A scriptable browser like PhantomJS, based on Firefox.
- CasperJS - CasperJS is a navigation scripting & testing utility for PhantomJS and SlimerJS.
- PhantomJS -
Web scraping is somewhat of an art so if you're not ready to manage recaptcha, proxy IP's, "User Agent" and more, try these managed services.
- ScrapingBee - My favorite web scraper to date. It's got great feedback on https://www.producthunt.com/posts/scrapingbee-formerly-scrapingninja and I even wrote a tutorial.
- Crawly by Diffbot - Turn websites into data in seconds. Crawly spiders and extracts complete structured data from an entire website.
- scrapinghub - Offers developers, data scientists, data teams looking to execute web scraping projects. It can handle infinite scroll, multiple pages and Single Page Apps.
- Simplescraper - They offer two great features 1) the ability to generate an API out of scraped data and 2) create recipes that run in the cloud.
- Metadata Scraper API - Extract email, phone number, social profiles, review profiles, and more from just a URL.
- Outwit - Can help you harvest the web into structured data.
More Managed Scrapers
Here are a few more tools in no particular order.
Even More Resources
You can always find new web scrapers on Product Hunt.